Validating Reliability of Your Web Service Vendor |
|Talk is cheap. If you really want to know how reliable a company is going to be, you have to do a little research. The harder it is for you to obtain the information you need to choose your new provider, the bigger indication it should be that you have something to worry about.
Here are some basic questions you should ask yourself and your potential web service provider:
- Can you see the service provider's customers? Why not?
- Are there links back to the service provider from the customer's website?
- Does the service provider have public testimonials?
- Can you trace the testimonials to real people who you can call?
- If the testimonial were from American Idol, would it sound like something Simon, Randy or Paula said?
- Do you know who they are? Names, faces, and experience?
- Will support be over email, telephone or face-to-face?
- Are they fulltime?
- Are they profitable?
- Are they at risk to the ups and downs of the market cycles?
- How long have they been doing this?
- Testimonials might not cut it because not everyone has a talent (or the resources) to monitor their website. You need proof. Preferably from a third party.
- Do they publish downtimes, hide it, or not even know?
- When do they perform server maintenance?
- What type of maintenance do they usually perform?
- Exactly how many times was their website down last year?
- Do they assume full responsibility for outages? Or do they blame external web hosting providers, datacenters, network providers, or the weather?
- Do you have to talk to a salesman/saleswoman to find out their price structure?
- Are they charging you based on how thick your wallet is or are their fees consistent from customer to customer?
You deserve a web service partner who can pass your trust test.
|How to Choose Your Web Designer
People looking for a web designer generally pick their web designer based on one of three criteria:
Not all people are looking for the most qualified at the lowest price. Some require the rock bottom lowest price. Others are looking for the prestige of spending more than the average price. The idea is that the more you spend, the better quality and support you are getting. It's up to you if you believe paying more/less means you get more/less.
$199 for a custom web design? That's what they say.
Some where in the middle
Our custom designs generally cost around $1600.
These guys use to advertise that all websites start at $10,000.
Some people still want to look their service provider in the eyes. Naturally, this constrains choices like quality, price, and support since you're restricted to who happens to be close.
Some people are looking for a specific trait in their web designer. Some thing it's best to pick someone who specializes in their industry. Some are looking for old fashion service... you know, the kind where your service provider actually returns phone calls and can answer you questions and resolve your problems. Some go further and require their web designer use specific computer technologies in designing their website.
- Your Industry
- Good Support
- Specific Technology
So what about AthensGuy.com, the web design and web hosting company?
You can find out more about AthensGuy.com and how we are different than most online web designers and online service providers.
- We are affordable - usually around $1600 for a custom web design.
- We always return your phone call within 24 business hours.
- We always respond to your emails within 24 business hours.
- We focus on supporting you and your website for the lifetime you keep it with us. It's not just about the initial web design for us. We host the websites as well so we love to update it when you don't have time to.
Or call Cynthia at (706)296-1706 or toll free at (888)776-9321.